Friday, August 21, 2009

Aboriton Does Not Liberate Women: A Testimony

The following is an anonymous testimony from a woman who has suffered from making the bad choice to have an abortion.

"I am a forty-three-year-old attorney from the Midwest, a typical American who grew up poor and worked my way up. When I was in college, “Women’s Liberation,” now revitalized under “Freedom of Choice” and other names, was popular. I took classes in sociology like “Sex and Gender Roles.” When I became a young professional, I worked with local government and saw in the health department that the current view on “health” included encouraging contraceptives, masturbation, and abortion. I stayed quiet because I did not want to lose my job or close off a future in government work. I grew up in the Catholic Church, but had begun to regard its ideas on such matters as out of touch.

In law school, I got involved with a young man. We did not marry. I became pregnant. And ill. He did not want responsibility. I agreed to have an abortion. I cried. I rationalized. I had the abortion. Pain has plagued my heart and soul ever since. I have confessed and been absolved of my sin. The God of Mercy forgives a repentant sinner. But absolution does not stop your being haunted. Every time I see a child my heart aches. I am now a stepmother, but my love for my children does not displace the longing for my aborted child.

No rationalization can comfort me or anyone else who has had an abortion. My only comfort is that my Lord and Savior, in whom I trust, cares for me in my misery – and for my child until we can be united in heaven.

Modern “liberated” thought is making women and men callous about life. Oddly, “women’s liberation” has ended up supporting a self-centered, bull-male culture. Modern “humanistic thought” sees human relations not as human at all or as a reflection of God and His gifts, but as a “natural” occurrence no more spiritual than mating of any wild beast or the shifting of tectonic plates. All these movements promote the opposite of their claimed goal.

Women are not liberated by abortion, but enslaved in a culture of death and sorrow, or they rationalize themselves out of everything good that is the essence of being a woman. “Freedom of Choice” does not apply to the one most in need of freedom. The one innocent party, the child, is locked in a mother’s womb where there is no advocate for its life."

Read the rest here.

No comments: